Sunday, November 28, 2010

Salt Dough Ornaments

This year the kids have an artificial tree of their own (oh so spoiled I know...but I bought it 2nd hand for $20) to hang all of their many many holiday crafts on.
To start the season off we did salt dough ornaments on Wednesday.

They are fairly simple.  To start you need:
2 cups of flour
2/3 cup salt
3/4 cup of water

Combine flour and salt in large bowl.  Slowly stir in water until it forms a ball.  Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3mins.









Then roll out and cut shapes with cookie cutters.
Don't forget to punch holes for ribbon (to hang)





.Bake for 30mins at 300*F...Cool then paint.
Then I seal mine with clear acrylic sealer spray (do this outside or in a well ventilated area because I gagged my family out this year....ooops)

Usually I use christmas wrapping ribbon to hang these on the tree, but because I used the funnel to make my holes this year the kids were able to slide the ornaments right onto the branches of their tree.

2 comments:

  1. Hi buddy!!! I am going to make these for Faithy's class and I was wondering how many this recipe yields. Thanks for the recipe! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rae, sorry for not getting right back to you :(
    I made about a dozen (fairly big) ones but it really depends on your cutter's size/shape.

    I bet Fait and her classmates will love them ;)
    Have FUN!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to hearing others thoughts & ideas! Please feel free to leave me a message or "Follow". Thanks for stopping in! I hope your day is GREAT, Tish