Monday, December 20, 2010

RED PEPPER JELLY

For years and years my Aunt's have made red pepper jelly, it has been a staple at all family get togethers & holidays...it's never been my favorite but since Wayne has joined my family he really really enjoys it.  So this year we have adventured into the world of canning...since the elders will no longer do the work for us lol.
So far we have canned beets and green tomato chow and today I finally got around to red pepper jelly...just in time (I hope) for christmas.
It was rather simple (I think...we'll see if it sets right) and Ava loves to help, especially when there's a food processor involved.

Red Pepper Jelly
6 sm. red peppers (1 1/4 lbs.)
1 c. vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
5 c. granulated sugar
1 bottle liquid Certo

Chop peppers fine. Measure 2 cups pepper and juice in large pot. Add vinegar and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered 10 minutes until tender. Stir in sugar, return to rolling boil and boil, uncovered and stir one minute. Remove from heat and immediately stir in Certo. Stir for 5 minutes to blend. Pour jelly into sterilized jars and seal. Serve over Philadelphia cream cheese with crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always look forward to hearing others thoughts & ideas! Please feel free to leave me a message or "Follow". Thanks for stopping in! I hope your day is GREAT, Tish